Top 5 Tips When Buying a Car
Recently GTChannel was invited to an event hosted by the Rusnak, the car dealership group on "Car Buying 2015 and Beyond" with the USC Auto Club. Although it wasn't about buying fast cars, it was about buying any car, including fast cars. So instead of boring you with all of the details, we decided to simply put together a list of 5 things you should do when buying a car. As our friend Jarod DeAnda from Formula Drift would say let's "send it" to the 5 things without further ado.
- Research on the web: Do your research on the web before visiting a dealership. It definitely saves time and the more knowledgable you have, the more likely you will get the vehicle you want.
- Budget correctly: Knowing what you are approved for financing and can afford is important. Vehicles are often advertised without sales tax, registration, and other fees that will be added at the time of purchase. You can't go shopping without knowing how much you can really afford. This will prevent unwelcomed surprises.
- Schedule an appointment: In order to save time again, schedule an appointment or meet first with a sales manager to help pair you with the right sales associate. This will help with the overall experience as the sales manager will be able to set you up with the sales associate that is best equipped to meet and exceed your expectations.
- Leasing vs financing: Consider your driving habits and your future goals. Do you plan to keep the vehicle for a long period of time or do you plan on changing it within a few years? Also consider certified pre-owned as they are a bridge between new and used and cost less than a new vehicle and retain a factory-guaranteed warranty.
- Ask for discounts. Often discounts are available for various programs. At auto shows such as the LA Auto Show there are representatives that typically have coupons to help save on new vehicles. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount at the dealership. If another dealership has the same car for a better deal, ask them to beat it. Remember you're the boss.